Monday, December 17, 2012

The Beginning..

I've had Steam for quite a while now, and lets just say I'm a sucker for the deals. A game for $2.99 when it's regularly $9.99? Sold! Problem is, I have entirely too many games. My backlog grows as new games are released and I have to play them.

This blog will cover my quest to end the backlog. To play the games that would never be played. I'll be reviewing them, telling you if it's actually worth buying if you do see those sweet sweet deals. Especially with the Winter Sale going live within the next week, which will just add to the already incredible list.

This, is the rundown of my Steam Profile Analysis, as created by Lambentstew.com. Try it and see how terrible you should feel about your backlog.

Games currently owned: 265
Games played: 144
Games never played: 121
Percentage played: 54.34%
Total Hours: 1221.6
Total Dollars: $3754.83 (this is not quite accurate as it takes current prices, and a huge number of my games come from either indie bundles or steam sales, still a shocker. Also, this isn't not played, this is my entire library, but do the math, still a lot of money wasted on games never played.)



Well, while it does say it's above 50%, I don't entirely trust that. A good number of those 144 I have played, have only been for less than an hour. A good number of them, just to see if they ran well. If we're to remove the games I've played for less than 5 hours, which to me seems quite little to begin with for non indie games, the actual unplayed total goes to 227. Terrible.

While some of those games include games that refuse to run (I'm looking at you Overlord), and a couple FTP games that just don't suit me, most of them are legitimate titles. To decide what I'll be playing, I'll be using another tool I found online: http://steam-roulette.heroku.com/

With this tool, you type in your community ID, and it rolls through your games, randomly drawing one. This will decide what backlogged game I'll be playing.

The rules I've established for myself are simple.
1. If the game runs, I need to play it, to its entirety. Good or bad, I'm going to give each of these games a fighting chance.

2. If the wheel rolls a game I've already played +5 for, but never finished, I need to finish it. I've got games I really enjoyed, but got distracted by another game during that time, they need to be finished.

3. If the game has already been played for +5 and I have beaten it, I will spin again.

4. while I'll be playing new releases that I get along with the backlog, at least one game needs to be taken off the list weekly, or in the case of rule #2, I need to play it for at least 5 hours.

I may think of more, who knows, but for now, ground rules established. Now, to begin..

The very first roll in this epic journey is one of the #2 rule games, Legend of Grimrock.

Once I finish the game I'll review it and tell you whether you should buy it or play it if it's been sitting in your backlog  (in the case of Legend of Grimrock, you should).

No comments:

Post a Comment